The Cathedral of the Assumption was built in 1827 – 37 on a hill overlooking Tuam, and was the second Roman Catholic Cathedral (after Newry) to be built in Ireland after Catholic Emancipation. The Irish Gothic Revival exterior is built of limestone with buttresses, elaborate window tracery, pinnacles, outstanding stained glass windows, and a variety of crisply carved stone embellishments. The Cathedral is the Cathedral Church of the Archdiocese of Tuam, and is of huge significance for the people of the 55 parishes of the Archdiocese and beyond.
Wejchert Architects have been appointed as lead consultant for the refurbishment Works to the Sanctuary of the Cathedral.
A tour will be led by Ann Cuffe Fitzgerald FRIAI Conservation Architect looking at conservation and restoration of pre-famine Great East window (1832) and East Elevation Stonework.
Tuam's Cathedral of the Assumption East Window, completed in 1832, was bowed and endangered, stonework trapped water- restored to highest standard and glare reduced by new outer glazing.
Wejchert Architects with Conservation Architects FKP