Portumna Castle and Demesne occupy a magnificent location on the shores of Lough Derg on the River Shannon. Built before 1618 by Richard de Burgo, 4th Earl of Clanricarde, the castle was gutted by fire in 1826. A major conservation project by the Office of Public Works, 1989-95, reroofed, floored and rebuilt the chimney stacks. It is the focal point in a relatively intact demesne which includes formal gateways, avenues, gate lodges, an icehouse, walled gardens and a stableyard.
Architecturally, the building marks the transition from the medieval Tower House to the Renaissance style manor house with complimentary influences from both periods. Following the fire and the ravages of time, the castle degenerated into a roofless shell. However, since 1968, the Office of Public Works re-roofed the building and based on extensive archaeological and historical research, other major conservation and partial restoration works continue to be carried out by a team of skilled craftsmen
Access: Access will be available to the ground floor only
Period: c. 1618
Booking is required for this free tour.