The basis of the architectural parti are the landscape setting and proportions of Pearse’s Cottage, where the leader of the 1916 rising, Pádraig Pearse, wrote his orations, inspired by the rugged essence of Connemara.
The 2016 building matches this thatched structure’s strictly vernacular 43-degrees roof pitch, spanning 10m deep along its 60m length. Within this, three primary public volumes are carved; one central entrance concourse and two side galleries.
Visitors proceed from the south-east gallery’s interpretive exhibition to a sheltered portico, from where a bog-path undulates through the landscape leading to Pearse’s Cottage.
Exterior materials are considered to blend with the burnt shades of Connemara’s bog landscape. Bespoke joinery windows are proportioned with traditional vertical emphasis, with boarded opening vents referencing the rural half-door. Traditional cottage finishes are chosen, such as the slate floor and timber-lined galleries.
Architect: Simon J Kelly Architects
Access: 10am- 6pm on Sunday 01 October with an architect-led tour by Simon J Kelly Architects at 4.30pm sharp. Meet at front door / car-park.
Type: Public Building / Visitors Centre
GPS Location: Latitude 53.388487839830276 / Longitude-9.61780660531008
Eircode: H91 DW9A
Disabled Access: Full
This tour is on a first come, first served basis.