Holy Trinity Westport is a church of national architectural significance, designed by Thomas Newenham Deane in a style which became known as Ruskinian Gothic. Ruskinian Gothic was developed during the 1850s by Deane and Woodward, who consulted with John Ruskin on their designs for the Oxford Museum, England.
Holy Trinity Church can be considered a high point in T.N. Deane’s career, embodying all the principles of architecture set out by John Ruskin. These include truth to nature in both design and decorative forms, emphasis on individual, high quality craftsmanship of decorative detail and the importance of the true Gothic style as the most appropriate style for church building.
The success of the project owed much to the interest and commitment of its patrons, George John Browne, the Third Marquess of Sligo and John Livingstone, local business magnate and owner of Westport distillery; both making a significant personal financial contribution to the building and decorating of the church, in addition to contributing artistic judgement and patronage of its outstanding interior decoration. This resulted in a scheme of remarkable coherence, which was completed within 20 years of the date of consecration of the church.
Architect: Thomas Newenham Deane
Period: Victorian - 1869-72
Access: 7pm - 8pm, Sunday October 1, 2017
Type: Public Lecture
Booking is recommended otherwise access is open on a first come, first served basis. Bookings opening soon.