St Cleran’s is a fine country house that, although large, is best described as a manor house. The house exterior is of beautiful cut stone with rounded sides and a fine portico. Steeped in history, the house was once home to the famous film director John Huston, among others. St Cleran’s is now in private ownership and not normally open to the public.
Built by the Burke family, this country house is of considerable significance and retains its form, character and much of its historic fabric. It was built in two phases, with the rear block constructed in 1784 when the ancestral castle nearby was abandoned. The later block to the east, designed by Sir Richard Morrison, was added in 1807 by J. H. Burke and now forms the front façade of the house.
Saint Cleran’s, with its different phases of construction and alteration, is a fine example of the development of country house architecture.
Period: 1760 and 1808
Access: Open 2:30pm-5pm on Saturday 30 September. Tours at 3pm and 4pm.
Type: Country House
Eircode: H91 A0TD
Photography and copyright: Joe Crean
This is a free event that requires advance booking.
An additional Sunday tour has been added due to demand. You can view the Sunday tour here.