Ballinderry Park, originally built c.1740, is a lovingly and painstakingly restored country house which was featured in a series of programmes by Duncan Stewart and his ‘About the House’ team. The house is largely unaltered from the original, with the exception of a two-storied return at the rear. Two stone-built stable ranges, one mid-19th century and the other considerably earlier, form an enclosed courtyard behind the house, with a pair of tall gates at either end.
Ballinderry is a comparatively small building; seven bays (windows) wide and of two stories over a basement. The steeply pitched roof has end gables and hides a third storey, lit by small windows high in the gables.
Unusually, the roof over the full-height central bow is taken right up to the level of the main ridge, rather than being returned at a lower level. This gives the house the appearance of having a central tower, rather like a small French chateau. Apart from the heavy cornice at the eaves and the fine pedimented door case, the façade is free from decoration.
Period: c. 1740
Access: Tours at 2pm and 3pm on Saturday September 30 2017
Type: Country House
Eircode: H53 XP26,
This open house is accessible on a first come, first served basis, but booking is recommended.