Ballintubber Abbey - our heritage, and our legacy for the future. A guided tour of Abbey and talk by Frank Fahey.
Founded by King Cathal O’Connor in 1216AD, the Church, Chapter House and domestic range of the Abbey date from the thirteenth century with the cloister dating from the fifteenth century. Partially damaged by Cromwell’s army in 1653, restoration works commenced in the late nineteenth century with the works being overseen by George C. Ashlin. Further restoration works were undertaken by the OPW in 1966 & 1994. Further development is planned for 2018AD.
Guide: Frank Fahey
GPS: 53.7573oN, 9.2824oW
Accessibility: Full disabled access
Booking essential for this free tour as spaces are limited.