Gort Convent of Mercy is an interesting and complex structure, having the form of a terraced town house to the front and a more typical convent form to the rear. The associated school building and foot bridge add further interest to the site. The Sisters of Mercy came to Gort in 1857, led by Sr Aloysius Doyle, a veteran of the Crimean war, establishing the convent in the pre-existing house.
Open on a ‘first come’ basis. Tours 11.30am & 2.30pm